Melanie Brosnan, LCPC
Assess Your Day
Evaluate what is causing you stress in your life and what thoughts and feelings arise when you mentally go through your daily schedule. This can be further simplified by asking yourself whether or not you will say "yes" or "no" to a specific activity.
Areas to Examine
- Am I keeping up with household chores?
- Am I spending too much time zoning out with electronics (more than 2 hours per day)?
- Do I spend time each day working on myself (journaling, meditation, stretching)?
- Have I been engaging in at least 20-30 minutes of daily movement or exercise?
- Am I making sure to eat well-balanced meals?
- Do I get an appropriate amount of sleep each night?
- Am I walking away from my work computer for at least 10 minutes every 2 hours?
- When was the last time I saw friends for a social gathering?
- When was the last time I did something I really loved?
Create a Plan
Or maybe you feel you need more alone time to get yourself grounded every morning; this may lead you to adjust your schedule to go to sleep earlier in order to wake up before your kids to ensure adequate quiet time on a daily basis.
- Engage in self-care frequently
- Set boundaries with family, friends, and co-workers
- Keep a time limit for electronics/social media use
- Eat healthy, well-balanced meals (most of the time)
- Make sure to get enough sleep
- Learn to say no to activities that cause you to feel stressed or overwhelmed
- Give yourself grace for “not doing it all”’
- Allow yourself to have regular alone time
- Make time for the things that add value to your life
Acceptance of a situation that cannot be changed is something I like to practice myself. Instead of feeling angry or irritated with something outside of my control, I make a choice to accept the situation as something undesirable (which will happen regularly throughout life) and focus my attention on something more positive.
Give Yourself Grace
So, I encourage you to ask yourself the questions above and to be honest with your responses. It is through this honesty that you will be able to create a workable plan for establishing a healthier balance in your life, which will lead to greater satisfaction, happiness, and peace.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to Ammirati Counseling to ask and inquire about support services that you can receive to help with overcoming feelings of depression, loneliness, stress or anxiety.
Ammirati Counseling is a boutique counseling group with office in Bannockburn. Therapists also offer private therapy via remote online. They provide comprehensive care to children, teens, adults, couples, families, and the LGBTQ community.
- Ten Grief Activities For Adults - April 5, 2023
- Individual Therapy vs Group Therapy: Which is Right for You? - March 29, 2023
- Help with Harm Reduction for Substance Use and Self-harm - March 13, 2023